In today’s article, we’d be talking about Dog Uti home remedy for your dog. But first, let’s learn about urinary tract infection on dogs.
Urinary Tract infections (or UTIs) are common in dogs so it’s important to understand that the cause of your dog’s bladder problem might not be what it seems.
Many ladder problems are purely inflammation and there’s no bacteria related with them at all…. So giving dog urinary tract infection antibiotics won’t do anything to help and is an “exercise in frustration.” To a holistic vet, UTI usually stands for inflammation, not infection.
This is vital in how we might approach the treatment of bladder issues, but first, let’s talk about the signs of bladder woes.
Dog UTI Symptoms
The common dog Uti symptoms include:
- Frequent restlessness
- Frequent urging to urinate.
- Often inappropriate house soiling/urination
- Urine may or may not contain blood; sometimes there may just be a little blood at the very end, sometimes there might be blood clots, sometimes it’s hardly noticeable. If you can have your dog pee on a white paper towel, that’s a good way to see if there’s blood present or not.
- Often waking you up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom many times.
- Once your dog goes, he immediately feels like she needs to try again and again and strains/squats a few different times.
- Licking, sometimes intensely, sometimes before your dog urinates and sometimes after she comes back inside the house.
- Blood in the urine (will usually appear pinkish in color, unless the urinary tract infection is severe and then the blood will appear bright red)
- Refusing or hiding food
- Urine with a strong, foul smell
- Taking more time than usual to urinate
- Intense lower back pain (your dog will be sensitive in this area and may arch their back as well. This is a way for them to try to relieve the pain the feel)
- Irritability or more aggressive than normal
Urinary tract infections can happen to any dog of any breed or age, yet the female dog is more susceptible to contracting urinary tract infections. The same rings true for dogs older than seven years of age and any dogs that have been diagnosed with diabetes.
There are many conditions that can cause your dog to have a urinary tract infection. Conditions of the lower urinary tract that can lead to a UTI can include:
- Crystals, stones, or debris accumulating in the urethra or the bladder
- Abnormalities in the spinal cord
- Prostate disease
- Congenital abnormalities
- Weak bladder due to hormone issues
- Dogs diagnosed with Adrenal Disease
- Bladder infection or inflammation
- Blockage of the urethra (the tube that will allow urine to pass from the bladder to the outside of the body)
- Incontinence due to excessive water intake
Dog UTI Home Remedy
There is lots of home remedy for dog uti treatment options available to help your dog feel more comfortable and recover.
Natural remedies are commonly used to fight off infections in humans and there are many remedies that can help your dog have contracted a urinary tract infection gather a urine sample for your vet.
The sample of the urine can be gathered in a clean , sealable container and should be given to the vet within four hours so the testing done is accurate.
This step is important for proper diagnosis and to ensure your dog does not have something more serious. After you have a diagnosis for a urinary tract infection in your dog, you should begin home remedies right away.
Below are some dog urinary tract infection home remedy options. Please check with your vet before administering a dog urinary tract infection treatment.
Administer Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-septic. When it is in your dog’s system it will fight off any bacteria present as well as create an acidic environment that will eradicate the bacteria and prevent further growth.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- For small dogs, add 1 teapoon and 1-2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar into your dog’s drinking water for big dogs.
- Repeat up to twice per day for a period of 7 to 10 days, depending on the severity of the UTI.
Notes: Ensure you provide a second bowl of fresh drinking water that does not have apple cider vinegar just in case your dog does not want to drink the water with the apple cider vinegar. The last thing you want is your dog to become dehydrated as it will further progress and irritate the UTI.
Give Your Dog a Hot Bath
Providing a nice warm bath can help relieve any pain they are experiencing as well as help any bacteria build-up on or near the urethra opening to be flushed away.
This second dog uti home remedy involves frequents baths can help to prevent the UTI from stopping the bacteria from spreading elsewhere.
- Mild and gentle soap. (Using a shampoo made with oatmeal or formulated for babies are gentle ways to ensure that the soap does not irritate the genitals.)
- Hot Water
- Prepare a hot bath for your dog. Ensure the temperature is not too hot and the water level is not too deep.
- Allow your dog to soak in the bath for 10 minutes for muscle relief.
- Kindly wash your dog and pay attention to the genital area. Do not leave soap in this area for long periods.
- Now, rinse with clean, warm water.
- Give your dog a bath every few days while they have the UTI and make sure to bathe them at least once per week after the UTI has cleared up.
Ensure Plenty of Fluid Intake
This is yet another home remedy for dog UTI that requires large amounts of fluids to ensure the bacteria is flushed properly from their system.
Throughout the day, ensure your dog is getting enough fluid intake. Keep an eye on him.
- Additional water bowls
- Fresh water
- Place a couple of water bowls around the home and/or in your dog’s area.
- Change the water once to twice a day to ensure the water is fresh and not going stagnant.
Give Vitamin C
Whenever your dog is affected by the weather, giving your dog Vitamin C is a great way to boost their immune system and give them the extra kick they need to fight off Dog UTI symptoms.
Plus, Vitamin C will cause the urine to become acidic which will promote healing and flush out the present bacteria.
- Crush one Vitamin C tablet and sprinkle over your dog’s food.
- Give your dog the Vitamin C tablet one time a day for up to 7 days.
- Give your dog the Vitamin C tablet once per day for up to seven days.
Notes: Be careful not to give your dog too much Vitamin C as strongly acidic urine could potentially lead to a UTI.
Administer Citrus Juice
Citrus juice such as cranberry, lime, orange, and lemon juices will give your dog a burst of vitamins, including vitamin C.
These juices will also make their urine acidic and help to flush out the bacteria causing UTI.
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of the citrus juice you’ve chosen.
- Spoon or syringe
- Measure out the amount of juice you want to give your dog.
- If the taste is pleasant to them, allow them drink it from a small bowl or spoon.
- If you are using a syringe, gently open your dog’s mouth and release the juice into their mouth. Gently close your dog’s mouth and massage their throat to ensure they swallow the juice.
- If they are more finicky, draw up the juice with the syringe.
Notes: No matter the type of juice you choose to use, ensure it is not from concentrate and it is all natural. Also make sure the juice does not have any trace of sugar as the sugar can further aggravate your dog’s UTI.
Cantharsis is a very common home remedy for dog UTI. You can simply find it in pellet or tablet from in homeopath shops or natural food shops.
The great thing about Cantharsis is how strong it it is and how quickly it can assist your dog with her UTI.
- Pestle and mortar.
- 3 tablets or pellets of Cantharsis
- ½ cup of Warm Water
- Sealable container
- Crush the 3 Cantharsis tablets with your mortar and pestle.
- Add in the crushed Cantharsis to the sealable container, and the warm water.
- Stir until the Cantharsis is fully dissolved.
- With your syringe, draw up approximately one cc
- Feed your dog the Cantharsis and allow him to rest.
- Check his condition and repeat the dosage instructions below if needed.
Notes: The severity of the UTI will depend on the dosage to give your dog.For a severe UTI- One cc of Cantharsis, three times, fifteen minutes apart.For less severe or milder UTI: One cc of Cantharsis, three times, half an hour- or even an hour apart.
This is yet another effective dog urinary tract infection treatment.
Mercurius is another potent homeopathic remedy that will help to heal and cure your dog’s UTI. Remember it is a homeopathic remedy, so it does not have any toxic chemical Mercury despite its namesake.
You will be able to find it in tablet or pellet form and it is very similar to Cantharsis, just a little more effective for UtI’s.
- 3 tablets or pellets of Mercurius
- Mortar and pestle
- Sealable container
- ½ cup of Warm Water
- With your mortal and pestle, crush the 3 Mercurius tablets.
- Grab a sealable container and add the crushed Mercurius, followed by the warm water.
- Stir until the Mercurius is fully dissolved.
- With your syringe, draw up approximately one cc.
- Give your dog the Mercurius and allow her to rest.
- Check her condition and repeat the dosage instructions below if needed.
Note: The seriousness of the UTI will depend on the dosage to give your dog for a severe UTI- One cc of Mercurius, 3x times, 15 minutes apart.For less severe or milder UTI: One cc of Mercurius, three times, half an hour- or even an hour apart.
Administer Fresh Blueberries or Cranberries
Normally, cranberries are often given to humans for assistance with a UTI and they can also work well for your dog.
The blueberries and cranberries will aid in the reduction of the PH of your dog’s bladder which prevent the bacteria from attaching to the urethra and bladder walls.
Plis, blueberries and cranberries will better the functionality of your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.
- Fresh cranberries or blueberries
- Chop the cranberries or blueberries finely and add approximately two teaspoons to your dog’s food.
- Repeat twice daily for 7-10 days.
Notes: To avoid your dog choking, chop the blueberries or cranberries well. If you do not have access to these fresh fruits, you can used dried- just be sure there is no added sugar.
Administer Chamomile or Neem Tea
This is another home remedy for dog UTI. Neem is a strong anti-bacterial agent and can help to fight against the bacteria that cause it.
Neem also serve as an anti-inflammatory which will help to soothe your dog’s pain.
Chamomile has the same power as the Neem tea, yet it will serve as a stronger anti-inflammatory agent. This is especially great if your dog is in large amounts of discomfort or pain caused by the UTI.
Both of these teas will act as a diuretic- which means it will prompt your dog’s body to flush liquids from its system.
- Dried Chamomile or Neem leaf buds (do not use tea bags)
- 1 cup of Hot water
- Add your preferred tea to the hot water and allow it to brew for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the tea is brewed, strain the tea and allow it to cool.
- Add the tea to your dog’s water bowl and let her drink at her leisure.
- Give her the tea once daily while she has the UTI.
Notes: If your dog does not drink the tea from her bowl, you can give her the tea using a syringe.
Administer Herbal Tinctures
There are many herbal tinctures that can serve as dog UTI home remedy and quicken the recovery process. The following herbal tinctures will help in inflammation as well as help to fight off any bacteria present: juniper berry extract, rosewood, sandalwood, goldenrod, nettle, sweet almond, and horsetail.
- Herbal tincture you like.
- Open the tincture and place into your dog’s mouth.
- Lock up your dog’s mouth and massage their throat gently so they swallow the tincture.
- Repeat twice daily until the UTI dissapears.
Echinacea can give your dog a soothing effect and help with inflammation caused by the UTI. It is noyt as effective as other home remedies recommended in this guide but when used alongside other dog urinary tract infection treatment, you can allow your dog to have a faster recovery time.
- Echinacea tablets
- Crush the Echinacea tablets and add ½ a teaspoon to 1 tablespoon (depending on the size of your dog) to your dog’s food.
- Repeat twice daily until the UTI is gone.
Give Uva Ursi
Uva Ursi is a strong antiseptic that is often used for bladder, kidney, and urinary tract infections. It is gentle enough to be used on your dog and in fact will help to clear the urinary tract of bacteria.
- Crush the Uva Ursi tablets and add ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon to your dog’s food.
- Repeat twice daily until your dog no longer has a UTI.
Adjust Your Dog’s Diet
During a UTI you will need to re-arrange and closely monitor your oet’s diet. You wany to make ascertain they are getting enough food so they can have the strength and vitamins to fight off the infection and you want to ensure they are hydrated plenty during this time.
- Raw meat or Wet food
- Fresh vegetables
- Change out her dry food or kibble with raw meat or wet food.
- Add freshly chopped vegetables to give her a vitamin boost.
- Continue feeding your dog these foods during her UTI.
Notes: If your dog does not like wet food or is quite finicky, you can add water to her dry kibble to ensure she stays well hydrated.
If your dog has a UTI, she will need lots of rest in order to recuperate. It is advised to linmit her exercise and avoid taking her to socialize with other dogs or go for walks with other dogs so she does not exert her energy and lengthen the healing process.
- Supports Better Sleep: Thanks to the round shape, our high-quality giant Donut Cuddler puppy bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up! The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides neck and head support, while the super-soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief
- Superior Comfort: Comfort, flexible and finished with the faux shag fur, this self-warming oversized dog bed is close to a mother’s fur coat! Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have complete, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health.
- Versatile Design: Comes with a completely removable zippered shell. There are 3 zippers, allowing the inner cushions to easily be removed and re-inserted. And because the shells finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, they help prevent accidental messes from reaching your floors
- Pet-Safe Materials: Luxurious fax fur and Durable come together to create large-breed dog mattresses that are as practical as they are comfortable! For added convenience, every bed is safe in the washing machine and dryer, minimizing pet odors and excess hair
- Sizing Suggestions: When choosing your dog bed, we suggest the 23×23 bed for dogs and cats up to 25lbs, the 30×30 bed for dogs and cats up to 45lbs, and the 45×45 bed for large dog breeds up to 150lbs. If you have any questions or problems, simply reach out to their customer service team.
- NOT suitable for dogs or puppies with excessive chewing or teething behavior
- Important Care Instructions: To avoid matting of the fur, it is crucial that the bed is thoroughly dried in DRYER directly after washing. Do NOT air dry
Images/Prices/Reviews pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
- Comfortable place for your dog to lay. Add pillows or blankets to her normal resting place.
- Ensure your dog lays in her space and stays warm.
- Keep her on limited activity for at least a week so she can easily fight off the UTI.
Administer Berberis Vulgaris
This is the last dog UTI home remedy on the list today. Berberis Vulgaris is a strong anti-inflammatory agent, as well as a natural pain reliever.
Berberis Vulgaris will also assist in clearing the urethra and bladder of bacteria while at the same time soothing your dog so it chances of contracting another UTI in the future will reduce.
- Berberis Vulgaris tablets
- Crush the Berberis tablets.
- Add 1 teaspoon to your dog’s food.
- Repeat twice per day for seven days for best results.
Notes: Berberis Vulgaris can have a bitter taste and if you discover that adding it to your dog’s food does not work, you can use a syringe to administer the Berberis Vulgaris. Once the berberis vulgaris is crushed, add it to warm water and allow it to dissolve. Use a syringe to draw up one cc of the mixture and give it to your dog. Twice per day is still recommended.
Can I Give My Dog Cranberry Juice?
What Can you give a dog for urinary tract infection? What Can I give my dog for a urinary tract infection? cranberry juice can help get rid of a UTI, How much cranberry juice for a dog UTI and is it safe? We recommend speaking to your dog’s vet about this.
Can I Give My Dog Cranberry Pills
The answer to this is the same. Kindly check with your dog’s veterinarian before giving cranberry pills to your dog.
3 Dog UTI Prevention Tips
Below are three tips for preventing bladder infection in dogs.
- Ensure your dog is drinking plenty water
- Grow your pet well, especially around the genital area
- Encourage potty breaks for your dog; the longer urine sits in the bladder; the more opportunity for bacteria to multiply
Aside older dogs, or dogs that have been diagnosed with diabetes, pregnant dogs can also be at risk for developing a UTI.
This is as a result of hormonal changes she is going through. In the later stages of the pregnancy, the puppies will be pressing her bladder and she will urinate more than usual.
During this stage of pregnancy, your dog will be at the most risk for contracting a UTI.
Frequent UTI’s can be a sign of something more troublesome such as kidney stones or bladder stones in dogs. If you have noticed any of the above symptoms in your dog, you will need to begin treatment right away to prevent the urinary tract infection from developing into something more serious such as kidney or bladder stones or further infections. Or in even worse cases, frequent urinary tract infections can indicate renal failure.
In the end, your dog’s health is very important to you, and to me. I hope that you liked this list and I hope that even one of these amazing Dog UTI home remedy were found useful to you and your pet.
Please let me know! I would like to hear your story and find out which home remedy for dog uti you used to help make your dog healthy and happy again. Please feel free to hare or comment this article so others can be aware of the power of natural remedies.