Are you a pet owner? If you are, you will understand the pain and stress you feel when your pet is missing. The dog isn’t just a pet but their best friend and much-loved furry family member for pet owners.
That moment when you went for an evening walk and your pet started taking a stroll on their own, and suddenly you are not able to trace them. That is when the GPS tracking collar comes into play.
The advanced technologies have made it easy to keep track of your dog. By using a GPS tracking collar, you can trace the location of your dog quite quickly. If your dog is on the move, you could have someone keep track of their movements while you follow their directions.
Benefits of a GPS tracking collar
- A critical benefit of using a GPS tracker is that most monitor the dog’s fitness level. They also keep a check on their health status in real-time such as their heart rate.
- One of the crucial things to do for a healthy canine is to get enough exercise. We cannot always be sure about the number of activities a dog should be doing regularly. They might be just sitting around the backyard, staying highly inactive. The GPS tracker allows you to track how much exercise they have been getting each day. It will be hard to monitor the pet’s exercise level without the tracker when you are not at home during work hours.
- By observing their heart rate, you can determine whether they are getting enough exercise daily and address that accordingly.
- The next benefit is that a lost or runaway dog is now easier to find without the stress of wondering where they are. If your dog has the tracker around its neck, you have to open the app and track precisely where the dog is situated.
- We take our phones with us most of the time. The benefit of the technology loaded into the GPS trackers is the fact they are smartphone friendly. You can receive notifications quickly from wherever you are.
- The pet trackers are pet friendly which can be attached to your dog’s collar. They don’t irritate the skin or have any harsh chemicals. Your dog won’t suffer any adverse reactions when using the collar.
- The tracker can detect your dog’s location from wherever they are, which is excellent for those times when a dog is being kidnapped or stolen. You can take the tracked information to the police about the dog’s location. The law can then help you quickly retrieve your dog. The newer models are microscopic and quite unsuspecting. Hence someone who has stolen your dog may not even notice the presence of the tracker attached.
- Instructing stubborn dogs can be a difficult task, especially if your pup is smart and tenacious. Some anodic collars are designed specifically for canine training purposes. As a process, they safely and lightly shock your dog if it is barking excessively. It will give the dog a gentle bolt out of the blue if it wanders outside of the boundaries of your yard.
Comparison between two of best GPS tracking collar
When it comes to GPS tracking collars, then you will get a variety of products. Dog trackers have grown in popularity since everyone likes to give their dog time off the lead.
Simultaneously, they have to worry about the dog’s risks taking them off and becoming lost. The online portals are flooding with great GPS tracking collars for pets.
Both Dogtra Pathfinder vs. Garmin Alpha 100 are premium products. A comparison between them is contesting a premium item against another super-premium thing. Both are dependable items that can let you train your dog like a professional.
There are technical benefits and differences in features offered in these two brands’ products based on the price difference. Despite that, choosing one among these two is not a left hand’s job.
Lets review each product and come up with the verdict on which product is worth your money.
Garmin Alpha 100
Colour – Black
Pattern – Solid
Item Dimensions – 1.5 x 2.5 x 6.5 inches
Batteries Included – No
Screen Size – 3 inches
Voice Command – Touch Screen
Display Type – Transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
Map Type – Topographical
Battery Life – 20 hours
Memory Storage Capacity – 4 GB
Colour – Black
Pattern – Solid
Material – Plastic
Item Dimensions – 3.4 x 1.3 x 2 inches
Batteries Included – Yes (I A batteries)
Screen Size – 3 inches
Display type– IPX9K waterproof
Map Type – Satellite Map
Battery Life – 8-10 hours
Memory Storage Capacity – N/A
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – Direct comparison
Let us now compare the two best GPS tracking collars Garmin Alpha 100 and Dogtra Pathfinder, under detailed parameters.
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – DESIGN
- It has High-Sensitivity GPS along with GLONASS.
- The size of the display is 1.53 wide x 2.55 length and 3 inches diagonal.
- It is preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100k maps, LED beacon lights, Rescue mode, and stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration.
- Display Type: transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- It helps you Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receives an alert, automatically sends an indication to recall
- The pack consists of a 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard, and 13-inches extended range antennas.
- With handiness in mind, the Pathfinder is sleek and straightforward.
- It has two featured buttons (Power/Select & Connect) on the remote; you can connect to the receiver with ease.
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – FUNCTIONALITY
- Track and Train 20 Dogs – From the compass screen, you can get the in-depth speed of your dog, the direction they are traveling, and how far they are. You can also rectify any dog on this screen without falsely correcting the others.
- Keep Your Dogs on Track – From the training screen, guide and instruct multiple dogs (with extra TT 10/15/15 mini devices) due to Tri-Tronics electronic training.
- You can choose the type of training you want to opt for- traditional or linear progression plus tone or stimulation types.
- Keep Up with Your Buddies – Know where other hunters in your group are. Set your Alpha to show the dogs in your group and the other Alpha anchors (up to 20 TT 10/15/15 mini or Alpha units.
- It is not compatible with Astro.
- The Pathfinder works without using cellular data by downloading the free maps on your smartphone and using the Offline Maps approach.
- Unlike other GPS e-collar products, no extra navigation packages are available to purchase. You can access Google Maps with satellite and terrain views.
- You can track up to 21 dogs or hunters, share locations, playback data and create customizable Geo-fence alerts.
- It captures a range of 9 miles, has a tracking mode and GPS update rate per two seconds.
- Customizable Geo-Fence alerts can be created, download free unlimited satellite maps, and more with this essential tracking GPS e-collar.
- Map provider is subject to change.
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – NOTIFICATION
Garmin Alpha 100
- Tone and vibration alerts – 18 levels of momentary and 18 levels of continuous stimulation or an audible tone or vibe command are present
- Track your dog – Measure each dog’s speed, distance, and the direction the dog is traveling to.
- Receive notifications when a dog is ‘Treed’ or ‘On Point.’
- The Pathfinder uses an electric stimulation and perceptible tone to observe and train the dog.
- With around 100 stimulation levels, the Pathfinder transmits the impulse through the receiver.
- It is excellent for keeping your dog on track during the hunt.
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – MAP FEATURES
Garmin Alpha 100
- As Alpha 100 comes preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K maps, you’ll always know your surroundings.
- 9-Mile Range: Pathfinder is built with a GPS e-collar and can be used synchronously with Google Maps in all the three view modes – normal, terrain, and satellite.
- Multiple map options, such as Offline Maps mode, are used to track and train your dog.
- The configuration supports Offline Maps and is entirely free to download,
- It has no hidden or extra fees. You have to download it via Pathfinder App.
Garmin Alpha 100 Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder – TRACKING
Garmin Alpha 100
- With the training screen’s help, correct and recall multiple dogs (with extra TT 10/15/15 mini devices) using Tri-Tronics electronic practice.
- You can select traditional or linear progression plus tone or stimulation types.
- Keep them Away From Hazard – Don’t wait till your dog is lost or in danger to get him back. You can set up virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert if he strays out of your geo-fence so you can recall him right away.
- The Pathfinder provides a rapid, industry-leading two-second update rate and powerful zoom capability. The GPS tracker provides greater live-action detail and accuracy in the field via the Pathfinder app.
- You can create customizable Geo-Fence alerts, use the Offline Maps mode, and more with this essential tracking GPS e-collar.
A single Alpha 100 can track around 20 dogs or fellow hunters up to 11 km away when using either additional Alpha 100 handhelds or T5 devices (each sold separately).
- This GPS e-collar is apt for dogs that are 35 lbs. or more.
- With high outcomes and the capability to expand to 21 dogs, you can track multiple dogs at once while out on the hunt.
Now that we read the comparison for both the products let us chalk out each product’s positive and negative features.
Pros and Cons
Garmin Alpha 100
- Garmin Alpha has a vibrant training option.
- The Alpha operates through the handheld device it comes with, connecting to collar devices and other Alpha 100’s of other owners.
- The Alpha can be bought and is compatible with different collars like the TT15, TT15 mini (for small dogs), and the T5.
- The T5 is a GPS-only collar, whereas the TT15 is a GPS and training collar.
- It has a remote training device with 18 training levels of continuous and momentary stimulation.
- A lockout formula is available to prevent accidental stimulation or tone.
- You can load your laptop or computer with BaseStation software and turn it into a field control center for tracking multiple dogs.
- The bundle includes a field bag, PlayBetter Portable Charger, protective silicone case, HD screen protectors (3-Pack), GPS tether lanyard, and power adapters.
- The free trip-planning software allows you to create Garmin Adventures that you can share with friends, family, or fellow explorers. You can take charge of your next adventure with BaseCamp, software that lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks.
- As compared to Dogtra Pathfinder, Garmin Alpha is expensive.
- The Alpha is comparatively tricky to navigate while in the field and only quick in stimulation. A little bit of tech-savviness is required.
- When the battery life falls below 25%, the collar goes from pinging the Alpha 100 every 2.5 seconds to every 2 minutes to conserve battery life – a pro or a con depending on the scenario.
- Budget-Friendly and affordable
- Easy to navigate on the field. Extra navigation packages not needed to purchase – use Google Maps
- Create customizable Geo-Fence alerts
- Can use without cellular data – download the free maps and operate your smartphone in offline map mode
- The Pathfinder doesn’t have a vibration training option.
- The Pathfinder is operated primarily through your smartphone. You have to download the Pathfinder app and then connect to the GPS connector and the collar device.
- Not an ideal product if you’re low on battery or need your phone for other tasks
- The Pathfinder comes as the Pathfinder and the Pathfinder X (GPS tracking only), and all the collars are the same.
- If you want to share a location, a separate GPS connection per user is required.
- Remote/transmitter does not have a button to send corrections – you have to take out your smartphone and use the app.
- Use of the MURS sat system is restricted by the Canadian
The bundle’s high price point is still far outweighed by the performance and broad spectrum of capabilities offered by the Alpha 100. It is by far no doubt an excellent buy for hunters seeking the best of the best for themselves and their dogs. A valuable tool in the market, the Alpha 100 assists you to achieve most favourable performances from your sporting dogs. It incorporates proven Garmin GPS dog tracking with Tri-Tronics electronic dog training technology.
Garmin Alpha 100 is worth the money if you can spend that much. At the same time, you will be safekeeping your dogs, and they can always be where they ought to be. You need not worry about the battery level as well.
On the other hand, Dogtra Pathfinder is also a good buy as the features are efficient and serve the purpose. And the best thing to consider is the affordable price which is almost half of the Garmin Alpha 100. Just keep your phone charged and out of danger. Even with Dogtra your pet is equally safe!