Like you, a lot of people are looking to getting a commercial chicken plucker. This is why we have taken our time to write on this Yardbird chicken Plucker review.
At a glance
- Powerful, maintenance-free, 1-1/2 horsepower gear motor provides over 35 foot-pounds of torque
- Easy-to-move, solid rubber tires with ball bearing make transport simple
- 110 replaceable fingers pluck the feathers while washing dirt from the skin
- Made to last, heavy-duty construction
- Quick-release removable tub allows for easy clean up
- Built-in irrigation ring keeps both hands free to do other tasks
- Plucks 2 chickens in 15 seconds to save time
Verdict: It will remove all the feathers and does an unbelievable job removing pin feathers. When it is done you cannot tell the difference between the dark feathered birds and the light ones it does that great of job on most birds.
The only thing we found was with the bigger gangly cockerels we need to chop the legs off before we put them in the plucker. We had contemplated taking our birds in to be processed. With this that would just be a waste of money.
Yardbird Chicken Plucker Review
The total weight of the plucker is almost 90 pounds and it comes with a manual. It takes less than 20 minutes to assemble this chicken plucker together.
It has solid tires on it that made it so easy to move around. The stainless steel construction of the tub was very impressive too.
- Powerful And Quick Defeathering: With an amazing 1.5 HP motor and 300 RPMs Yardbird can de-feather chickens, hens, ducks, geese, and waterfowl in just 15 seconds. Its drum is 20 diameter and this makes it easily accommodates larger birds or multiple small birds.
- Efficient And Safe Operation: 110 individual rubber fingers gently and naturally remove feathers grime/dirt from the skin of the bird. A tub-proximity sensor, overcurrent protector and GFCI ensure that the operator is safe and secure during processing.
- Simple Debris Collection: An irrigation ring has been integrated with the standard garden hose connector to allow hands-free flushing of plucked feathers into the feather chute.
Feather collection is earned by placing a slotted 5-gallon pail under the chute.
- Easy To Maintain: It comes with a removable high quality stainless steel drum along with a quiet gear-drive commercial grade motor make cleaning a breeze and maintenance minimal.
- Transport And Storage Friendly: The compact size of the Yardbird makes storage efficient while the solid rubber wheels with ball-bearings gives the user the flexibility and transportability needed to get to and from the job.
Feathers can plug under the disc
It required an electrical hook up and a water hose. We own the kind of long hose nozzle that allows you to remove the tube with the spray head, so we were able to hook the handle directly to the Yardbird and still turn the water off and on without having to constantly go back and forth to the main shut off valve at the house.
You too can do the same result by attaching a valve to the tub and then attach a garden hose. If a Y-valve is used, a second hose can be used for wash down and fill the scalding pot.
The Plucker In process
Now it is time to start up the Yardbird Chicken Plucker. I turned the hose on and flipped the toggle switch that starts the Plucker. It worked for a few seconds before shutting off abruptly.
I thought we tripped a breaker in the house, but a quick check of the breaker box indicated that wasn’t the case.
I took a look at it and figured out that the Plucker was on a slight downhill angle, and this was allowing water to run directly on the motor. As a built-in safety measure, it shut off so we wouldn’t be harmed.
I turned the machine around to allow the water to flow away from the motor, hit the motor’s reset button, and turned the Yardbird back on—it was working! It sounded fine, so we tried it out.
With the motor running and water turned on, we brought over the chickens and dropped them in and they came out perfectly, bringing a big smile to my face.
A lot of the wet feathers came out of the bottom of the machine in a neat pile, a nice contrast to our homemade plucker that left feathers everywhere.
Plucking the 15 birds thatI processed went very quickly. Yardbird’s claims of plucking 2 chickens in 15 seconds seems right on. I would say it was a great success.
At a glance
Yardbird 21833 Chicken Plucker
- Manufacturer- ardisam
- Part number- 21833
- Name yardbird chicken plucker 20in dia 1.50 hp
- Product type- chicken plucker
- Power type- electric
- Wheels included- yes, 2
- Horsepower- 1.5
- Rotational speed
- (rpm) 300
- Fingers 110
- Carton height – top to
- Bottom (inches)- 20.7
- Carton width – side to
- Side (inches) 21.6
- Carton depth- – front
- To back (inches) 21.6
- Assembled height –
- Top to bottom (inches)- 36
- Assembled width –
- Side to side (inches)- 30.6
- Assembled depth –
- Front to back (inches)- 26.7
- Voltage (volts)- 120
- Wattage (watts)- 1100
- Minimum circuit
- Rating (amps)- 15
- Gross weight (pounds)- 88
- Net weight (pounds)- 83
- Container quantity- 420
- Upc code- 012642 003028
- Removable tub- yes
- Drive type- gear
- Drive details helical cut alloy steel gears
- Irrigation ring- yes
- Hardware finish- clear zinc
- Primary material- stainless steel
- Primary material
- Details food grade
- Additional materials- aluminum, copper, alloy steel
- Hardware material steel
- Number of items
- Included 13
- Pieces included
- tub, (1) featherplate, (1) warranty card, (1)
- Set hardware, (1) drive assembly, (3) legs,(2)
- Wheels, (1) owners manual, (2) axles,
- Weather resistant yes
- Weather resistant
- Details stainless steel tub with spray
- Resistant electrical components
- Water resistant yes
- Water resistant
- Details water resistant finish
- Corrosion resistant yes
- Uv resistant yes
- Antimicrobial yes
- Heavy duty yes
- Cord included yes
- Tub proximity switch yes
- Outdoor use yes
- Commercial use no
- Product care spray with garden hose to clean
- Cord length (inches) 72
- Gfci yes
- Assembly required yes
- Tools needed for
- Assembly wrenches
Yardbird Chicken Plucker Troubleshooting And Repair
If unfortunately, you encounter trouble operating you plucker, follow the suggestion in this section.
It will help you detect the exact causes of common problems and how to fix them.
In case of a service problem, DO NOT send unit back to retailer. Contact Yardbird, at 800-345-6007, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
- Problem Remedy/Action
Unit will not start
- Reset GFCI
- Turn toggle switch to the ON position
- Be sure magnet in tub is poitioned over magnetic read
- swtich on feather pan.
NOTE: Magnet must be adjusted close enough to magnetic read switch in order to function properly.
Yardbird Chicken Plucker For Ducks
As earlier stated, this machine defeathers ducks, chickens, geese, wild birds etc.
For more information: